8 tasty and healthy bedtime snacks
No one likes to go to bed hungry.
But the conventional wisdom goes that eating before bed is a tried and true way to pack on the pounds. And some study data supports the theory.
Choosing the healthiest and most satisfying nighttime snacks is the key, says Bob Carrara, diabetes educator at Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital in Barrington, Ill. He offers eight suggested snacks to aid with weight loss and help control blood glucose levels overnight.
- 1/8 cup of roasted pumpkin seeds with 4 ounce apple
- 1 slice whole wheat bread and 1 tablespoon almond butter
- ½ cup vanilla Greek yogurt and ½ cup fresh blueberries
- 5 ounce pear and 20 dry roasted pistachios
- 1 ounce black bean tortilla chips and ½ cup salsa
- ½ whole wheat English muffin spread with ¼ of an avocado
- 5 ounce banana with 1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter
- 3 cups raw red bell pepper slices and ¼ cup of hummus
So don’t go to bed hungry. Just reach for the right food late at night.
Like it, share it or leave a comment!
About the Author
health enews staff is a group of experienced writers from our Advocate Health Care sites, also including freelance or intern writers.