Featured Recipe: Shiitake with veal
- 1 pound boneless veal, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup shallots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry (optional)
- 4 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 4 cups cooked farfalle or other chunky pasta, or gluten-free pasta, if desired
- 2 tablespoons parsley, thyme, or other herb, chopped
Heat oil in frying pan and brown veal quickly. Add shallots, stirring until wilted. Add shiitake mushrooms and sherry. Cover and cook 5 minutes at low temperature, until mushrooms release moisture. Turn off and stir in sour cream and herbs. Serve with noodles (gluten-free, if desired). Spinach would be a good side dish with this recipe.
Each serving contains approximately 419 calories, 48 g carbohydrates, 33 g protein, 10 g fat, 112 mg sodium, and 2 g fiber.
Online Medical Reviewer: Poulson, Brittany, RD, CDE
Online Medical Reviewer: Wilkins, Joanna, R.D., C.D.
Date Last Reviewed: 8/1/2016
© 2000-2017 The StayWell Company, LLC. 800 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional’s instructions.
Leave a Reply to RobinCancel Reply
About the Author
health enews staff is a group of experienced writers from our Advocate Health Care sites, also including freelance or intern writers.