5 tips to stop a nosebleed
What’s the best way to stop your child’s nose from bleeding?
- Sit up straight and tip your child’s head slightly forward (Don’t tilt the head back)
- Use your thumb and forefinger to firmly pinch the soft part of the nose shut
- Apply a soft ice pack to nose and cheeks to help constrict the blood vessels
- Keep nose pinched for a full 10 minutes
- Check to see if nose is still bleeding after 10 – 15 minutes
Dr. Nozicka says it the nose continues to bleed more than 20 minutes with these measures, contact your pediatrician.
About the Author
Evonne Woloshyn, health enews contributor, is director of public affairs and marketing at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital. Evonne began her career as an anchor and reporter in broadcast news. Over the past 20 years, she has worked in health care marketing in both Ohio and Illinois. Evonne loves to travel, spend time with family and is an avid Pittsburgh Steelers fan!