Featured Recipe: Carrot oat bran muffins
- 1 cup gluten-free oat bran
- 1 cup powdered nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons artificial sweetener brown sugar blend
- 3 large eggs, beaten (alternative: egg whites or egg substitute)
- 1/2 cup applesauce, no sugar added
- 1 cup grated carrots (about 2 large or 3 small)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 12 paper muffin cup liners or cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a 12-muffin tin by inserting paper liners or spraying lightly with cooking spray. In a large bowl, mix oat bran, powdered milk, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and artificial sweetener. Add eggs and applesauce and mix well. Stir in grated carrots and raisins. Divide batter among 12 muffin cups. Bake 20 minutes. Cool on a rack. Store in an airtight container. Leftover muffins can be frozen.
Makes 12 muffins
Each muffin contains about 109 calories, 6 g protein, 2 g fat, 60 mg cholesterol, 17 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber and 201 mg sodium.
Date Last Reviewed: 8/1/2016. Copyright Health Ink & Vitality Communications
About the Author
health enews staff is a group of experienced writers from our Advocate Health Care sites, also including freelance or intern writers.