Featured Recipe: Chicken and mushroom pasta
- 2 ⅔ c. rigatoni pasta (or other tube-shaped pasta)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 12 oz. skinless, boneless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 3 c. white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- ½ c. low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ c. dry white wine (or chicken broth)
- 1 c. tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ c. fresh basil, shredded
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- ¼ c. shredded Parmesan cheese
Cook pasta, drain, and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the black pepper on chicken, then cook for 5 minutes or until center of chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken from skillet and keep warm.
Add remainder of the oil to skillet with garlic, mushrooms, and onions. Stir-fry until onions are just tender.
Pour in broth and wine, then bring to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until liquid is reduced to about half, stirring occasionally (about 5 to 10 minutes.)
Remove skillet from heat. Add the pasta, chicken, tomatoes, basil, and oregano; toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Makes 6 servings
Each serving provides about 294 calories, 7 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 36 mg cholesterol 225 mg sodium, 33 g total carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 0 g sugars, 22 g protein.
© 2000-2017 The StayWell Company, LLC. 780 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional’s instructions.
About the Author
health enews staff is a group of experienced writers from our Advocate Health Care sites, also including freelance or intern writers.