Featured Recipe: Multigrain chicken soup
- 1/2 cup raw brown rice
- 1/3 cup medium barley
- 1/3 cup red lentils
- 1/3 cup yellow split peas
- 2 large ribs celery, sliced
- 4 large carrots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt, depending on taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 12 cups water
Put all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Cover the pot and turn the heat down to simmer. Cook for about 1 hour, until all grains are tender. Check seasonings. Soup will be thick. You can thin, if you like, by adding water or chicken stock.
Each 1-1/2-cup serving contains approximately 218 calories, 30 g carbohydrates, 20 g protein, 2 g fat, 225 mg sodium, and 6 grams fiber.
Online Medical Reviewer: Poulson, Brittany, RD, CDE
Online Medical Reviewer: Wilkins, Joanna, R.D., C.D.
Date Last Reviewed: 8/1/2016
© 2000-2017 The StayWell Company, LLC. 800 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional’s instructions.
About the Author
health enews staff is a group of experienced writers from our Advocate Health Care sites, also including freelance or intern writers.