Featured Recipe: Chicken salad blues
- 1 9.75-ounce can premium chunk chicken breast packed in water
- 1 large stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 4 leaves romaine or red leaf lettuce, washed and trimmed
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 ripe tomato, quartered (or 8 cherry tomatoes)
- 1 small cucumber, washed and thinly sliced
Drain chicken. Add chopped celery and mayonnaise. Mix lightly to keep the chicken chunky. Arrange lettuce in a shallow serving bowl. Put chicken salad in the middle and crumble blue cheese over it. Arrange tomatoes and cucumber slices around the plate. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Each serving contains about 175 calories, 15 g protein, 10 g fat (51% calories from fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 3.5 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, and 675 mg sodium.
This recipe is gout-friendly because it contains foods moderate in purines. Meat, fish, and poultry should be limited to 1 to 2 servings per day.
Online Medical Reviewer: Poulson, Brittany, RD, CDE
Online Medical Reviewer: Wilkins, Joanna, R.D., C.D.
Date Last Reviewed: 8/1/2016
© 2000-2017 The StayWell Company, LLC. 800 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional’s instructions.
About the Author
health enews staff is a group of experienced writers from our Advocate Health Care sites, also including freelance or intern writers.