Featured Recipe: Breakfast on the run
- 4 tablespoons apple butter
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 3 whole-wheat English muffins, split and lightly toasted
- 6 1/2-ounce slices low-fat, cracked black pepper ham, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced green onion (scallion) tops
- 3 ounces low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
In a small bowl, combine apple butter and mustard. Spread 1 tablespoon mixture on each muffin half. In another small bowl, combine ham, onion, and cheese. Spread each muffin half with this mixture. Broil until topping is bubbly. (Both mixtures may be prepared in advance and stored separately for a quick breakfast.)
Each serving contains about 137 calories, 10 g protein, 3 g fat (20% calories from fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 19 g carbohydrates, 2.5 g fiber, and 400 mg sodium.
Online Medical Reviewer: Poulson, Brittany, RD, CDE
Online Medical Reviewer: Wilkins, Joanna, R.D., C.D.
Date Last Reviewed: 8/1/2016
© 2000-2017 The StayWell Company, LLC. 800 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional’s instructions.
Like it, share it or leave a comment!
About the Author
health enews staff is a group of experienced writers from our Advocate Health Care sites, also including freelance or intern writers.