Featured Recipe: Vegetable tart
- 1 ready-made, refrigerated 9-inch pie crust
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large red, green, or yellow bell pepper, sliced into rings (about 1 cup)
- 1 onion, sliced into rings (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups zucchini or yellow squash, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes (fresh or drained canned)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup soybeans (drained canned or dried beans that have been soaked and cooked)
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup loosely packed)
Preheat oven to 450°F. Line 9-inch tart dish or deep pie pan with crust. Prick bottom with a fork and pre-bake in hot oven for 5 minutes. Set aside.
Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick frying pan. Add 2 tablespoons water, pepper rings, and onions and cover, stirring occasionally until wilted. Add squash, mushrooms, tomatoes, thyme, and soybeans. Uncover and let liquid cook off. Stir in shredded carrot. Spoon filling into pie crust. Top with shredded cheese.
Bake at 450°F for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F and bake 10 minutes longer. Remove from oven and let sit about 10 minutes before cutting into 4 wedges.
Each serving contains approximately 395 calories, 46 g carbohydrates, 13 g protein, 19 g fat, 432 mg sodium, and 6 g fiber.
Online Medical Reviewer: Poulson, Brittany, RD, CDE
Online Medical Reviewer: Wilkins, Joanna, R.D., C.D.
Date Last Reviewed: 8/1/2016
© 2000-2017 The StayWell Company, LLC. 780 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional’s instructions.
About the Author
health enews staff is a group of experienced writers from our Advocate Health Care sites, also including freelance or intern writers.