10 things that happen when you finally get back in the gym
Melissa and Loralie have partnered with Advocate Condell Centre Club to spend the next year working to achieve their health goals. They’ll be documenting their steps to get Movin’ and Improvin’ and be fit by 40. This is not a weight loss series–this is a journey towards health. Read the series introduction to learn more. Today, we hear from Loralie…
I don’t know about you, but the holiday season is kicking my butt. It’s like people think Christmas just magically happens on its own without the express interference of mothers. Much like the scene in How The Grinch Stole Christmas where the Whos all hold hands and sing. Well, let me tell you folks, this ain’t Whoville! Christmas is work!
But somewhere in the midst of my holiday shopping-wrapping-baking-volunteering-writing-decorating-eating-working-donating-cleaning-entertaining-cooking-caroling madness, I forgot to take care of myself. And that, my friends, is a great big no-no. The stress cracks are starting to show.
Luckily, I have my membership at Advocate Condell Centre Club as a reminder that Mommy needs to take care of herself, too. Even if it had been [mumble, mumble, cough, mumble] days since I’ve been to the gym, the staff was waiting for me with open arms. If that’s also the case for you, let me tell you what to expect when YOU finally get back to the gym:
- The friendly ladies at Karing for Kids (FREE child care for members at Centre Clubs) tell your daughter how long her hair has grown.
- You notice that they reupholstered all the workout benches (black is slimming.)
- You forgot how the stationary bikes are an excellent way to catch up on Facebook.
- You don’t remember getting this sweaty this early.
- You didn’t realize you miss getting sweaty.
- By the way–who are all these people?
- Wow, you can still do this–you’re pretty awesome…
- You’re all done, but you still have 20 minutes of child care left, which means… uninterrupted smoothie break. WooHoo!
- You run errands with your child afterwards in your sweaty workout clothes, and whenever you run into someone you know, you humbly brag about what a mess you are because you’ve just been to the gym.
- You are very, very, very sore the next day, but it’s okay because it merely proves you are still one bad mamma jamma.
So forget about wrapping those presents and invest in gift bags instead. You can pick them up after I see you at the gym.