Safety tips for cleaning around the house
Time to evict those dust bunnies after the holidays. With the cold weather and being stuck indoors, what better time to do some deep cleaning.
Dr. Mroczko warns to keep all chemicals out of the reach of young children to avoid accidental poisonings.
“The colors of many household soaps and cleaners can be very welcoming to small children,” he says. “Keep all chemicals up high and clearly labeled.” He also cautions to never mix chemicals as it can create a dangerous gas.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services suggests opening windows and turning on fans when using cleaners or other chemicals. If you’re spraying pesticides or other chemicals, wear protective clothing such as long sleeves, long pants, socks, shoes and gloves. And stay away from newly sprayed areas for at least an hour, or until the spray has dried.
An estimated 40,000 children under age four are injured by unintentional poisonings every year, according to the National Safety Council. While statistics show that children rarely die today from unintentional poisonings, non-fatal poisonings remain a childhood concern.
The Illinois Poison Center offers these helpful tips if a poisoning were to occur:
- Call the Poison Center Helpline (1.800.222.1222)if you or another person have been exposed to something that might cause an unwanted and/or unexpected reaction.
- Remain calm. The majority of poison emergencies can be resolved quickly and over the phone.
- Call 9-1-1 if the person affected is unconscious or has difficulty breathing.
About the Author
health enews staff is a group of experienced writers from our Advocate Aurora Health sites, which also includes freelance or intern writers.