Is warm weather sabotaging your exercise routine?
Warm weather is nice, but is it sabotaging your exercise routine?
Until now, you may have stuck to your gym workout plan because heading indoors to escape inhospitable weather to lift weights or pedal a stationary bike wasn’t so difficult. Now you’re tempted to stray outside, which is fine, but it’s causing you to break your positive routine, and it’s starting to show in flabby arms and gut.
Jenifer Anderson, an group exercise coordinator at Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital Health and Fitness Center in Barrington, Ill., says sometimes all you need is a little nudge to get back on track.
“At this time of year, we may want to ditch the gym and head outside for fun,” she says. “Outdoor workouts are great, but there are also big benefits to keeping your regular gym routine. Sometimes, you can even combine the two. You just have to be a little creative.”
Anderson offers the following tips to keep you focused when the weather heats up:
- Change up your workout time. If you typically work out after work but find yourself tempted to skip it in favor of fun outside, try a morning workout instead. Getting in and done before your day begins sets you up for success.
- Make your regular workout an appointment you always keep. Just like going to the dentist or doctor, your workouts are important for staying healthy and fit.
- Try a new exercise class. You’ll meet like-minded fitness friends and challenge your body.
- Add in the outdoors as part of your warm up or cool down. Start your workout time with a brisk walk or light jog outside, come in to the gym for your strength training or class, then cool down with an easy walk outside.
- Meet a friend for your indoor workouts. Being accountable to another person for that time is a great way to make sure you get to the gym and work hard.
About the Author
health enews staff is a group of experienced writers from our Advocate Aurora Health sites, which also includes freelance or intern writers.