Are these the top 5 foods or drinks for your heart?
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in both men and women, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Eating a healthy diet is one step you can take to help mitigate your risk.
- Oatmeal: You probably have already heard that oatmeal helps lower cholesterol, but did you know it also contains Vitamin E? Vitamin E helps protect the heart.
- Dark chocolate: The more cocoa, the better – cocoa helps lower blood pressure and increase blood flow.
- Red wine: Red wine contains resveratrol, which can help reduce cholesterol, increase arterial health and even prevent cancer.
- Almonds: Full of healthy fats and fiber, almonds are known to help lower LDL, commonly known as “bad” cholesterol.
- Blueberries: These berries are packed with antioxidants that help prevent coronary disease.
“Remember, while these foods are good for your heart, consumption in moderation is still key,” says Dr. Gajjar.
Take our Heart Health Assessment to estimate your risk, determine your controllable and uncontrollable risk factors and receive guidance on what to do next.
About the Author
health enews staff is a group of experienced writers from our Advocate Health Care sites, also including freelance or intern writers.