10 candy options you can enjoy, without the guilt
Halloween is just around the corner. And while many may enjoy the costumes and celebration associated with the fall holiday, the sweetness aka “candy” that comes along with it can be a problem for your waistline. While you may look forward to indulging in some sweet treats, you might also catch yourself wondering if there is such a thing as a “better” healthier candy.
Madhu Jain, a dietitian at Advocate Good Shepherd Health and Fitness Center in Barrington, Ill., did some background research and found some candy that you can enjoy and not feel guilty for eating. That’s what we call a win-win.
All the candies on our list are under 200 calories.
- Surf Sweet Gummy Bears: 130 calories per serving and no artificial colors and flavorings. This is one of the more healthy candies you can grab on Halloween. Always remember though, moderation is key.
- Hershey’s Kisses Dark Chocolate: 180 calories /9 pcs (you don’t have to eat them all), 12 percent of your daily fiber and 10 percent of your daily suggested iron intake.
- Toblerone Crunchy Salted Almonds Milk Chocolate: 170 calories per serving and no artificial flavorings.
- Orchard Valley Harvest Dark Chocolate Almonds: 150 calories per serving and no artificial flavors, these treats are a great natural source of iron.
- Dole Strawberry Dipper Covered in Dark Chocolate: 60 calories per serving and no artificial flavors, this “candy” is a natural source of Vitamin C.
- Dole Pineapple Dippers, Pineapple Tidbits Covered: 80 calories per serving and no artificial flavors, these are also a great natural source of Vitamin C and iron.
- Blue Diamond Oven Roasted Almonds, Dark: 160 calories per serving, no artificial flavors and a natural source of fiber, these almonds provide 12 percent of your daily recommended intake.
- Panda Soft Licorice: 130 calories per serving and no artificial flavors, this candy is minimally processed.
- Twix Cookie Bars: 110 calories per serving and no artificial flavors, this chocolate treat is one of the better options for those looking to splurge. On a diet? Try to eat just one bar.
- Smarties Candy Rolls, Assorted Flavors: Although all sugar and some questionable flavorings with just 25 calories, you can certainly eat a few!
About the Author
Jacqueline Hughes is a former manager, media relations at Advocate Aurora Health. Previously, she was the public affairs and marketing manager at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, IL. She earned her BA in psychology at Stanford University in Palo Alto, California. Jackie has 10 plus years experience working in television and media and most recently worked at NBC 5 in Chicago. In her free time, she enjoys swimming, going to the movies and spending time with her family.